Aspirants, who are aiming to become a Certified Nursing Assistant in New Mexico, are needed to meet and follow the specified requirements of the state. Candidates must take the training program accredited and approved by the AZBN (Nursing Board of Arizona). This is followed by the competency examination and registration in the state’s CNA registry.
Every CNA aspirant must meet the following specified guidelines of the nursing board to enrol in the training course:
- Minimum age of aspirants must not be less than 16 years;
- They must have Diploma of High School or proof of the equivalent GED;
- They must undergo a complete health examination, including drug screening, TB testing and proof of immunizations;
- They must not have any criminal history. They need to provide the documents of criminal background check that involves felonies and CNA registry objections as well.
How to Apply
Candidates with needed qualifications and experience can avoid the CNA training. Following candidates can take the exam without taking the training program and appear in the state’s registry:
- Graduate nurses who are not licensed but have completed the New Mexico’s approved nursing course ;
- Reciprocity candidates, who got current CNA certification and registered in other state’s registry, can apply for reciprocity to the DOH.
- Military trained nurses who possess DOH approved letter can apply for the examination directly to appear on the state’s registry;
- Lapsed CNAs of other states (i.e. listed on the registries of other states and their license is expired for the last 2 years), can appeal an approval letter to the DOH.
- Lapsed CNAs of New Mexico with the expired credentials (expired for not more than 2 years) can also appear for the exam without taking the training program of the state; or
- Nurse students can earn the credentials of the certified nursing aide if they have completed the nursing program in the last 2 years.
Others who are in need of the CNA training program, can access the website of DOH (http://dhi.health.state.nm.us/NAR/nar.php ) to get hand on the required information. All the state approved training programs need minimum 100 hours for clinical work and another 75 hours for classroom lectures. It takes roughly 13 weeks to complete the training. It is only after completing the mandatory hours of training course, aspirants can apply for the competency examination.
The exam is divided into the two portions- one is the written test and other is the practical test to check the nursing skills. Written test is held in only one language that is English. Instead of the written test, candidates with testing problems can give the oral exam. After receiving an authorization letter, candidates book the examination with Prometric.
- The price of taking the exam varies depending upon the manner it is taken. It usually costs over $ 1000. Employed candidates are liberated from the training and exam expenses as under the Federal Laws, employers bear the certification related expenses of employees.
- Testing fees are as follows:
- Both Practical and Written : $ 105
- Both Practical and Written orally: $ 115.50
- Written Retest: $ 38.85
- Oral retesting: $ 49.35
- Skill retesting: $ 66.15
Validity of the CNA credentials lasts for 2 years. The certificate of only those candidates is renewed who have completed the minimum 8 hours of paid employment under a registered or licensed nurse during the recent 2 years certification period.
Must Know Facts
- During the course of two years of the termination of training program, candidates are supposed to take, and qualify the competency exam in the din order to appear on the state’s registry and work as a certified nursing aide in New Mexico.
- Candidates become eligible to take the nursing aide training and exam only after seeking the approval from the state’s Nursing Board. For this, they must fill the required applications.
Traditional Classes Training Centers
|ALAMOGORDO||BETTY DARE GOOD SAMARITAN CENTER||3101 N. FLORIDA AVENUE, ALAMOGORDO, NM 88310||5754340038|
|ALAMOGORDO||NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY – ALAMOGORDO||2400 N. SCENIC DRIVE, ALAMOGORDO, NM 88311-0477||(575) 439-3807|
|ALBUQUERQUE||ALBUQUERQUE PUBLIC SCHOOLS||807 MOUNTAIN ROAD NE, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87102-2499||505 243-3658|
|ALBUQUERQUE||CENTRAL NEW MEXICO COMMUNITY COLLEGE||525 BUENA VISTA SE, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87106-4096|
|ALBUQUERQUE||MANZANO DEL SOL||5201 ROMA NE, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87108-1334||505-262-2311|
|ALBUQUERQUE||PRINCETON PLACE||500 LOUISIANA, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87108||(505) 255-1717|
|ALBUQUERQUE||UNIVERSAL CARE HOME HEALTH AGENCY INC.||8015 MOUNTAIN ROAD NE Suite 116B, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87110||505 990-1958|
|ANGEL FIRE||ELIZABETH A. O’REILLY||PO BOX 614, ANGEL FIRE, NM 87710|
|CARLSBAD||LAKEVIEW CHRISTIAN HOME HEALTH||1300 N. CANAL STREET, CARLSBAD, NM 88220||575 887-3947|
|CARLSBAD||NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY – CARLSBAD||1500 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, CARLSBAD, NM 88220||(575) 234-9200|
|CLOVIS||CLOVIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE||417 SCHEPPS BOULEVARD, CLOVIS, NM 88101||(575) 769-2811|
|CROWNPOINT||NAVAJO TECHNICAL COLLEGE||PO BOX 849, CROWNPOINT, NM 87313-0849||(505) 786-4100|
|DEMING||DEMING HIGH SCHOOL||501 WEST FLORIDA, DEMING, NM 88030|
|ESPANOLA||ESPANOLA VALLEY NURSING & REHABILITATION CENTER||720 HACIENDA STREET, ESPANOLA, NM 87532|
|ESPANOLA||NORTHERN NEW MEXICO COMMUNITY COLLEGE||921 PASEO DE ONATE, ESPANOLA, NM 87532||(505) 747-2111|
|FARMINGTON||LIFE CARE CENTER OF FARMINGTON||1101 WEST MURRAY DRIVE, FARMINGTON, NM 87401||(505) 326-1600|
|FARMINGTON||SAN JUAN COLLEGE||4601 COLLEGE BOULEVARD, FARMINGTON, NM 87402||505 566-3496|
|FT. BAYARD||FORT BAYARD MEDICAL CENTER||PO BOX 36219, FT. BAYARD, NM 88036||(505) 537-3303|
|GALLUP||UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO – GALLUP||200 COLLEGE ROAD, GALLUP, NM 87301||(505) 863-7593|
|HOBBS||OLIVE LEAF INSTITUTE SCHOOL FOR LEARNING||2825 DAL PASO, HOBBS, NM 88240||575 392-7775|
|LAS CRUCES||DACC GADSDEN CENTER||3400 SOUTH ESPINA STREET, LAS CRUCES, NM 88003|
|LAS CRUCES||DACC HATCH HIGH SCHOOL||3400 SOUTH ESPINA STREET, LAS CRUCES, NM 88003-8001|
|LAS CRUCES||DACC ONATE HIGH SCHOOL||3400 SOUTH ESPINA STREET, LAS CRUCES, NM 88003-8001|
|LAS CRUCES||DACC SUNLAND PARK CENTER||3400 SOUTH ESPINA, LAS CRUCES, NM 88003|
|LAS CRUCES||DONA ANA BRANCH COMMUNITY COLLEGE||3400 S. ESPINA, LAS CRUCES, NM 88003||(575) 527-7500|
|LAS VEGAS||LUNA COMMUNITY COLLEGE||366 LUNA DRIVE, LAS VEGAS, NM 87701||(505) 454-2500|
|LAS VEGAS||VIDA ENCANTADA REHAB & NURSING||2301 COLLINS DRIVE, LAS VEGAS, NM 87701||(505) 425-9362|
|LOS LUNAS||UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO – VALENCIA CAMPUS||280 LA ENTRADA, LOS LUNAS, NM 87031||(505) 925-8611|
|PORTALES||HEARTLAND CONTINUING CARE CENTER||1604 WEST 18TH STREET, PORTALES, NM 88130||(505) 359-4719|
|PORTALES||ROOSEVELT GENERAL HOSPITAL||PO DRAWER 868, PORTALES, NM 88130|
|RANCHOS DE TAOS||UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO – TAOS||1157 COUNTY ROAD 110, RANCHOS DE TAOS, NM 87557||(505) 758-7648|
|RATON||MINER’S COLFAX MEDICAL CENTER – LONG TERM CARE||900 SOUTH SIXTH, RATON, NM 87740||(505) 445-2741|
|RATON||RATON NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER||1660 HOSPITAL DRIVE, RATON, NM 87740|
|ROSWELL||EASTERN NM UNIVERSITY – ROSWELL||PO BOX 6000, ROSWELL, NM 88202-6000||(575) 524-2510|
|ROSWELL||ROSWELL JOB CORPS||57 G STREET, ROSWELL, NM 88202||(575) 347-7468|
|ROSWELL||SUNSET VILLA CARE CENTER||1515 S. SUNSET AVENUE, ROSWELL, NM 88203||(505) 623-7097|
|RUIDOSO||EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY – CAPITAN HIGH SCHOOL||709 MECHEM DRIVE, RUIDOSO, NM 88345|
|RUIDOSO||EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY – RUIDOSO||709 MECHEM DRIVE, RUIDOSO, NM 88348||(505) 257-9041|
|RUIDOSO||EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY – RUIDOSO HIGH SCHOOL||709 MECHEM DRIVE, RUIDOSO, NM 88345|
|SANTA FE||SANTA FE CARE CENTER||635 HARKLE ROAD, SANTA FE, NM 87505||505 982-2574|
|SANTA FE||SANTA FE COMMUNITY COLLEGE||6401 RICHARD AVENUE, SANTA FE, NM 87508||(505) 428-1323|
|SANTA TERESA||ANAMARC EDUCATION INSTITUTE||2660 AIRPORT ROAD SUITE 780, SANTA TERESA, NM 88008|
|SANTA TERESA||EMERALD NURSING SCHOOL – SANTA TERESA||1074 COUNTRY CLUB SUITE B-3, SANTA TERESA, NM 88008|
|SILVER CITY||WESTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY||PO BOX 680, SILVER CITY, NM 88062||(575) 574-5140|
|SOCORRO||SOCORRO GOOD SAMARITAN VILLAGE||PO BOX 1279, SOCORRO, NM 87801-1279||(575) 835-2724|
|TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES||SIERRA HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE||1400 N. SILVER, TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, NM 87901|
|TUCUMCARI||DR. DAN C. TRIGG MEMORIAL HOSPITAL;||301 EAST MIEL DE LUNA AVENUE, TUCUMCARI, NM 88401|