You can be certified as a nurse aide in South Carolina if you meet the eligibility criteria, take an approved training course and pass a competency test. The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) oversees the certification process. Pearson VUE manages the exam, which meets National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) standards.
To sign up for a CNA course, you have to:
- Be at least 18.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Pass a state and federal criminal background check, which includes fingerprinting.
- Pass a health check, including a drug and TB test.
- Be current on your vaccines.
Check out the Pearson VUE website for a list of state-approved CNA programs. Expect to complete at least 80 classroom hours and 100 clinical hours.
You might be exempt from training if:
- You’re an RN or LPN.
- You had nurse training in the military.
- You completed CNA training in another state.
If you work in a nursing facility, your employer will pay for your training and testing costs. Otherwise, budget between $1,000-$1,300 for a CNA training program in South Carolina.
Exam fees are:
- Written and skills testing: $101
- Oral (Spanish) and skills testing: $101
- Oral (English) and skills testing: $101
- Oral Spanish retesting: $30
- Oral English retesting: $30
- Written retesting: $30
- Skills retesting: $71
Your CNA license expires after 24 months. If you didn’t work as a paid CNA in that time, you’ll need to take a 40-hour refresher course to renew your certificate.
- You can get a sample CNA exam from the Pearson VUE website to help you study.
- You’re exempt from testing fees if you work at an accredited nursing facility.
- You have 3 tries to pass the CNA exam. If you fail on the last try, you have to submit an application to retest.
- If you don’t pass the test within 2 years of training, you have to take a 40-hour refresher course before you can take the exam again.
- While you’re enrolled in training, you can work as a CNA for up to 120 hours. You’ll have to stop working if you don’t get your license within that time frame.
Traditional Classes Training Centers